“If you open yourself up and get yourself to a place where you’re putting everything out on the table and saying, ‘this is who I am as a person,’ they [your students] will show you their cards too.” – Melissa Asencio
Fast Facts about Melissa
- Full Name: Melissa Asencio
- Years teaching: 16 years in total, with 12 spent as a lead teacher and four in administration or other educational capacity
- Grades taught: 6th-11th grade in all core subject areas. Melissa has also taught adult education as well.
- Current Position: 8th Grade English Teacher
- Why teach: I teach because I know it makes a difference
- Favorite books:
*Another fast fact about Melissa is that she hid out in her car from her two young children during this interview, leaving them inside with their dad in order to take the time to chat with teachers uninterrupted. She was also so determined to her commitment to this interview that she continued on despite a cold that made her voice, “sound like a man…” as she adeptly put it. Thank you Melissa!